How To Apply Foundation
Foundation is among the most used makeup products all over the world. Know as “a foundation”, “makeup base”, “fond de teint” it can cover up any little blemishes and give your skin an even and flawless look. The foundation gives your face an even color. It’s a base for the makeup application. Foundations cover both areas of coloration and blemish discolorations, hide little pimples, dark spots, red spots, blackheads and whiteheads. They moisturize and nourish the skin, some of them even have an anti-ageing effect. A good foundation helps protect your skin from dirt, debris and harsh climate. It helps treat everything from pimples to wrinkles.
How to apply the foundation correctly:
Step 1 Cleanse and tone your skin
Always apply foundation to a cleansed and toned skin. Use a mild cleanser appropriate for your skin and cleanse your face thoroughly to remove all the impurities and oils that have accumulated during the night. Tone your skin with a toner that suits your skin. Use it lavishly – apply with cotton pad and wipe until clean.
Step 2 Moisturize your skin
Always moisturize your skin before applying the foundation even if your skin is oily. The first step when applying makeup is the application of appropriate moisturizer according to your skin type. It will improve your skin quality and act as a protective layer to help trap the moisture in the skin and stop it from evaporation. Apply the moisturizer and let it soak in at least 3 minutes before applying foundation. Moisturizers protect your skin from the sun, wind, cold, from the environmental pollutants and nourish your skin. Moisturizers plump and comfort your skin and make the foundation easier to blend smoothly. If your foundation disappear within few hours of application, or drags when you blend it that means that probably your skin needs more moisturizer.
Step 3 Use concealer
Apply concealer to problem areas. Dot the concealer only in places you need to. Start with a slightly darker tone and blend into with a sponge to match the lighter foundation in order to avoid creating light spots. Don’t use too lighter concealer to hide dark circles under the eyes, it should be just slightly lighter than the foundation color. To hide pimples or spots, use thick concealer that matches your skin tone. Apply it using a small makeup brush directly on the spot and blend slightly till it disappears.
Step 4 Application
Warm up the foundation in your palms – this way it will penetrate deep into your skin and will last longer. The best way to apply it is using your fingertips or a makeup sponge. Using your fingertips will give the heaviest application, but a sponge gives a thinner application.Put a little foundation on a makeup sponge, foundation brush or on your fingertips. A sponge provides more control and a smoother application. If you are going to use a brush it should be small, like that for the lipstick. The brush works best if you have to cover marks or pimples.
Start applying foundation in the centre of your face and make sure the color matches your skin tone. Dot foundation on your cheekbones, chin, forehead, nose eyelids and lips. With the help of the sponge or your fingertips blend well – the foundation must never show. Gently press the sponge over your face to set the foundation.
Step 6 Blend
Start blending at your forehead and slowly spread all over your face, moving in circular motions. Blend out to the jawline and your hair line until the foundation vanishes. Don’t forget to apply foundation to the neck, especially if you are using darker shade of foundation otherwise your face will look like a mask and unnatural. Make sure everything blends together and looks the same. Ensure that there are no patches.
Step 7 Set the foundation
To set the foundation, apply loose powder immediately after the application. The powder will hold the foundation in place for a longer period of time. Dab the powder brush into the powder and shake off the excess powder. The brush will help you to apply the powder evenly to facial contours for a well blended powder finish. Apply it firstly to the centre of your face, forehead and chin. Stroke the face gently to cover all areas evenly. Don’t forget to apply a small amount of powder to the neck.
Useful tips for applying foundation:
To choose the right shade of foundation apply a stripe of color to clean skin on the jawline and blend slightly – the color that disappears on the skin is the correct one.
- If your skin is acne-prone look for a foundation with salicylic acid that treats pimples without clogging pores.
- Is you are using a liquid foundation shake off the bottle to mix the formula
- Always set the foundation with a loose powder.
- If your skin is mature look for a foundation with ingredients that scatter light and light reflecting ingredients to brighten your skin. Be very careful with the foundation – if it isn’t appropriate for your skin type it can easily settle into any fine lines and pores.
- If your skin is oily look for a powder foundation with a matte finish.
- Always shake the bottle of the liquid foundation before the application.
- A heavier foundation is appropriate for those who have lots of blemishes
- Make sure your face is clean and moisturized before applying the foundation
- Select a foundation with SPF at least 15 to protect your skin from the UV rays
- Warm the foundation in your palms before applying it – the heat from your hands will increase the foundation’s ability to penetrate the skin and will helps the base to last longer.
- Make sure the foundation is spread evenly.
- Always start applying foundation in the centre of your face and move outwards
- Never forget to apply foundation to the neck
- Choose a foundation with a sunscreen to prevent sun damage.
- If your skin is oily use lighter weight foundation, otherwise it can accentuate the enlarged pores and can even clog them.
- Use two different foundations – one for the summer and one for the winter
- Make sure your powder is in the same shade as your foundation
- If your complexion is dewy use tinted moisturizer instead of foundation
- If your skin is oily use oil-free moisturizer and powder foundation
- Use makeup sponge to apply the foundation evenly
- Always apply the foundation downwards
- Blot the face with a tissue to soak up the excess oil
- A foundation should be applied straight after the application of a moisturizer
- Light-diffusing foundation will give your skin radiance and a real finish.
- The matte foundation can make skin look dull so avoid using them.
- To conceal dark circles under the eyes apply small amount and blend well.
- If you have acne-prone skin choose an oil-free formula and a hypoallergic brand for a sensitive skin.
- If your skin is young look for a color adaptive foundation.